Like the World's End Tavern in the Lower City of Shattrath, Dalaran has a portal to Caverns of Time for quick access to southern Kalimdor. This portal is located in the second floor of the Violet Citadel. Also, a player can talk to Zidormi, a NPC standing in front of the portal to also teleport to the Caverns of Time.
Dalaran (also called Dalaran City or the City of Dalaran and pronounced DAHL-uh-RAWN) is the capital of the magocratic nation of the same name, located over the Crystalsong Forest in Northrend during the time of the War against the Lich King, and later near the shores of the Broken Isles during the renewed Legion invasion.
Originally located by the Lordamere Lake on the Alterac Mountains shore in the Eastern Kingdoms, the city was moved to the "roof of the world" by the guided power of all its inhabitants. This was done in order to use Dalaran as a front against Malygos's crusade to eradicate the mortal magi who were not under his reign. Additionally, the magi intended to do what they could against the dread undead forces of the Lich King. Some time later, Dalaran was set in motion and flied high above the seas, as seen during the purges, until it finally stopped near the shores of the Broken Isles to serve as a focal point to counter the Burning Legion's invasion.
The city's inner fortress has served as the focal point for magi and the study of the arcane throughout human history.
ight after the Battle for the Broken Shore, Jaina Proudmoore has arranged for Dalaran to move to Deadwind Pass in order to aid in the protection of the Eastern Kingdoms. Dalaran was hovering over Deadwind Pass and more particularly Karazhan. The entire city had been moved by a giant Blink spell, and all the shops were ordered to close down because of the various troubles created by that sudden transportation. Some Dalaran Citizens were now suffering of dizziness and nausea, while others were re-materialized at the wrong place and were stuck in walls or in various other objects. Some of them were even fleeing because of unstable energy running amok in the city. Several recovery specialists such as Fanny Frizzlepop, Brilda and Grindle Dopplegink as well as the nurses at the First to Your Aid clinic were trying to fix their problems. The content of the Dalaran Merchant Bank's coffers had been thrown out, and several Kirin Tor Guardians had to protect the bankers while they were working on fixing the situation. Jepetto Joybuzz himself was stuck on a toy zeppelin flying around the city. The entrance to the city sewers were shut and Krasus' Landing was damaged by fel energy.
Believing that the Kirin Tor needed the help of both the Alliance and the Horde, Khadgar called the Council of Six to vote on letting the Horde back into the city. The vote passed, and Jaina, outraged, teleported out of Dalaran, leaving Khadgar effectively in charge. Together with an adventurer, Khadgar then searched Ulduar and Karazhan for means to stop the Legion's advance and close the portal in the Tomb of Sargeras, and discovered that such a feat would be possible with the help of five titanic artifacts called the Pillars of Creation, which lay scattered over the Broken Isles.
The Burning Legion then launched an attack on the city. With that confirmation they had the right objective, the Council cast a spell to teleport Dalaran to the southern shores of the Broken Isles in close proximity to Azsuna, so it would once again serve as a hub for Azeroth's heroes at the front lines in the renewed war against the Legion when countless forces pour from the Tomb of Sargeras.
The expansion sees story-based modifications made to the city, including changes to the center as well as the Underbelly, which may see a new free for all PvP area. With Jaina's departure, Kalecgos and Vargoth filled out the Council of Six's membership. Aethas was allowed to return to Dalaran, although not as a member of the council.
Several Crimson Pilgrims have appeared in Dalaran. Due to their choice of attire, they may be former Scarlet Crusade members.
The Unseen Path is providing secret protection for the city at the request of Archmage Khadgar.
Shieldbreaker Murdonn broke through the outer defenses of Dalaran, and made it all the way to Krasus' Landing where he was taken out by the champions of the Class Orders.
The tallest spire atop the Violet Citadel is actually a weapon used for the defense of the city, but has been sabotaged by the Legion. The dreadlord Kathra'natir, helpless and imprisoned within the [Nightborne Soulstone], has his power siphoned to re-power the weapon.
After the death of Kil'jaeden and Illidan's use of the Sargerite Keystone, Argus appeared in the sky of Azeroth. Dalaran's citizens grew worried, specially as doomsayers started to spread panic.
Dalaran is split into several inter-faction zones, and 2 faction only zones. These are:
- The Violet Citadel (Seat of the Kirin Tor faction.)
- Purple Parlor (Upper floor and viewing balcony of the Violet Citadel.)
- Archmage Vargoth's Retreat (Vargoth's bedroom/library somewhere in the Violet Citadel.)
- Silver Enclave (Faction specific subzone for the Alliance)
- A Hero's Welcome (Inn attached to the Silver Enclave)
- Beer Garden (Area located behind A Hero's Welcome)
- The Eventide
- Krasus' Landing (Flight master is located here.)
- Sunreaver's Sanctuary (Faction specific subzone for the Horde.)
- The Filthy Animal (Inn located within Sunreaver's Sanctuary.)
- Antonidas Memorial (Memorial to Archmage Antonidas.)
- Magus Commerce Exchange (Main trade district)
- Runeweaver Square (The city's central plaza.)
- Violet Gate (Where portals first take you.)
- Legerdemain Lounge (Neutral Inn, North-central area)
- The Underbelly (Sewers below the city.)
- Cantrips & Crows (The Underbelly tavern and inn.)
- Circle of Wills (A place for some duel action and PvP fun.)
- Black Market (The secret market for rogues and warlocks.)
||Approximate Run Time
| The Violet Hold
In the Dalaran present in Wrath of the Lich King, there are three major reputation factions players can deal with. These are:
- Kirin Tor - The main body of the city, neutral to both factions.
- Silver Covenant - Supporters of the Alliance, hostile to the Horde.
- Sunreavers - Representatives of the Horde, hostile to the Alliance.
Lore-wise, during The Third War, the city was also inhabited by the Sorcerers' League and Mages' Guild, two Alliance-aligned wizard-factions that fought alongside Kirin Tor against the Scourge. As they haven't been mentioned since then, they were possibly either destroyed or fused with Kirin Tor. With the Horde being purged from Dalaran, the Sunreavers were forced to leave the city, but their leader, among other blood elves, are shown to rejoin it in World of Warcraft: Legion.
- Main articles: Dalaran NPCs, Dalaran (Northrend) NPCs
- Main article: Council of Six
- Khadgar - Formerly Medivh's apprentice, he was the member of the council that suggested appointing Jaina as their leader, following the events of the attack on Theramore. Now leads the council as of Jaina's departure.
- Ansirem Runeweaver - Known member of the council. Like Modera, he was on the council when Garithos condemned Kael'thas.
- Kalecgos - Joined the Kirin Tor after the fall of Therarore.
- Karlain - An alchemist and mage. Once at the mercy of his emotions, he has since become one of the most controlled and thoughtful members of the Kirin Tor.
- Modera - The longest-standing member.
- Vargoth - Survivor of the Alliance Expion and former resident and notable of Kirin'Var Village.
Other notable residents
- Vereesa Windrunner: The wife of Rhonin and the leader of the Silver Covenant.
- Jaina Proudmoore
||Invasion of the Scourge
||War against the Lich King
||War against Deathwing
||Discovery of Pandaria
||War against the Iron Horde
||Third Invasion of the Burning Legion
Getting to Dalaran in Northrend
Dalaran is located in the north central region of the continent of Northrend, floating above the western side of Crystalsong Forest. Ships and zeppelins departing from Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Menethil Harbor and the Undercity provide access to Northrend from Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.
Once you are in Northrend, there are a number of ways to reach Dalaran:
- Dalaran specific methods from within Northrend
- As of Patch 4.0.3, the flight master at Krasus' Landing in Dalaran is learned automatically by all characters. Any character can simply take a ship or zeppelin to Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord, talk to the flight master near the dock, and take a taxi to Dalaran.
- At level 68 any character can learn [Cold Weather Flying] and fly to Dalaran with a flying mount.
- At level 68 a set of crystals, (Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal and Teleport to Dalaran Crystal), can be used. The Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal must be used first by doing Learning to Leave and Return: the Magical Way from Portal Trainer, so you must first reach Dalaran via another method. Note that the completion of these quests will render The Magical Kingdom of Dalaran unavailable, so it is a good idea to not complete these quests until you have acquired one of the Kirin Tor rings or an [Argent Crusader's Tabard].
- At level 74 any character can get The Magical Kingdom of Dalaran from any of several members of the Kirin Tor. This provides a portal to Dalaran until you complete the quest. As with the quest above, it is best not to complete this quest until you have one of the Kirin Tor rings or an [Argent Crusader's Tabard]. If you don't complete it, you can use the portal to travel quickly from the ship or zeppelin port in Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord (or several other locations in Northrend) to Dalaran, allowing you to keep your hearthstone in your faction capital or some other useful location.
- At level 71 mages can talk to NPCs in Dragonblight and learn to teleport to Dalaran after completing Attunement to Dalaran.
- At level 80, if your faction has won the previous Wintergrasp battle, you can take the Wintergrasp portal to the Violet Citadel. The portal is inside the Wintergrasp Fortress.
- A separate guide, Getting to Wintergrasp and Dalaran, provides a few ways to get to Wintergrasp.
- A Dalaran portal appears after completing the Trial of the Crusader.
- Dalaran specific methods from anywhere
- At level 74 mages can learn a portal to Dalaran from the portal trainer. A mage portal allows anyone to get to Dalaran from anywhere.
- A set of upgradeable Kirin Tor rings are available at level 80. Any of these rings can teleport the player to Dalaran.
- An [Argent Crusader's Tabard] is available at level 80. This teleports the player to the Argent Tournament Grounds, less than two minutes' flight from Dalaran.
- Non-Dalaran specific methods
- Once in Dalaran, players can set a Dalaran inn as their home, which enables them to teleport there with their [Hearthstone].
- A Warlock in Dalaran can summon players to Dalaran, with 2 others in Dalaran in the same group.
- Players whose accounts are linked via Recruit-A-Friend can summon one another to Dalaran. The players must be in the same group.
- Portals to Dalaran exist in Shrine of Seven Stars and Shrine of Two Moons in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Pandaria.
Getting to Dalaran over the Broken Isles
All players arrive in Dalaran over the Broken Isles on the quest [100 - 110] In the Blink of an Eye and receive a [Dalaran Hearthstone], allowing them to teleport to Dalaran once every 20 minutes.
In addition, every Class Hall has a portal to Dalaran. There are also portals in Stormwind Keep in Stormwind City and the Cleft of Shadow in Orgrimmar — the same portals previously used to get to Dalaran over Karazhan for [100 - 110] Calling of the Council.
Finally, at level 110, mages can learn a portal to Dalaran over the Broken Isles from a portal trainer, allowing them to teleport other players there. And like its Northrend version, Dalaran over the Broken Isles has innkeepers who allow players to set their regular [Hearthstone] there.
- Dalaran-specific methods
- Anyone who is at least level 74 can talk to Portal Trainer Celindra and do Learning to Leave and Return: the Magical Way to enable the Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal which teleports to Violet Stand below Dalaran.
- Learn [Cold Weather Flying] and fly from there with a flying mount.
- Take the Caverns of Time portal in the Violet Citadel.
- Non-Dalaran specific methods
- Hearth to non-Dalaran bind point.
- A warlock not in Dalaran can summon players from Dalaran, with 2 others at destination in the same group.
- After meeting the Dalaran Flight master (in Krasus' Landing), players can pay to fly from there to nearby flight masters via a Flight Path.
- Jump off the edge or from the tunnel in the sewers (Underbelly), though this will kill you unless you have a way to slow your descent.
- As of Cataclysm, it is fairly common to see mages offering portals out of Dalaran to various locales.
Travel connections (Northrend Dalaran)
- Ebon Watch, Zul'Drak
- Moa'ki Harbor, Dragonblight
- Wyrmrest Temple, Dragonblight
- Argent Tournament Grounds, Icecrown
- Argent Vanguard, Icecrown
- Fordragon Hold, Dragonblight
- Kor'kron Vanguard, Dragonblight
When Wrath of the Lich King went live, Dalaran supplanted Shattrath City as the major hub for player activity, due to easy access to the capital cities in the southern continents, to Outland via Shattrath, and to the high level content in Northrend. Those portals were removed in patch 4.0.3a, however portals to Orgrimmar and Stormwind City were added in patch 4.1.0.
- The Silver Enclave
- Stormwind City
- The Violet Citadel
- Caverns of Time, Tanaris
- Purple Parlor, Dalaran
- Teleport to Dalaran Crystal
- Teleport to Violet Stand Crystal
Travel connections (Broken Isles Dalaran)
- Watchers' Aerie, Azsuna
- Shackle's Den, Azsuna
- Felblaze Ingress, Azsuna
- Meredil, Suramar
- Crimson Thicket, Suramar
- Hafr Fjall, Stormheim
- Vengeance Point, Broken Shore
- Greyfang Enclave
- Stormwind City
- Shrine of Seven Stars
- Sanctum of Light
- Netherlight Temple
- Windrunner's Sanctuary
- Thunder Bluff
- Silvermoon City
- Shrine of Two Moons
- Sanctum of Light
- Netherlight Temple
- Chamber of the Guardian
- Caverns of Time, Tanaris
- Dalaran Crater, Alterac Mountains
- Karazhan, Deadwind Pass
- Shattrath City, Terokkar Forest
- Wyrmrest Temple, Dragonblight
Every class hall has a portal to it located in Dalaran, with the exception of Trueshot Lodge, which has a special, instant-arrival flight, effectively a teleport